Community Challenge - Week 1 Activity

starling-community-week1-blue

Read three books with your child about Summer, sunshine, nature, or any topic you think may interest your little one. Once you complete this challenge, head back to this post to and share about the books you read. You can share the book title, what the book was about, and/or any fun responses or behaviors the books sparked in your child.

Bonus: Visit Starling Labs (you can get there from the main menu in the Starling App) and share the number of Quality Words tracked with the reading of each book.

If you have the Reading Excellence Program App, share the score you earned with each reading session too!

Participate in the Community Challenge & Win Prizes!
Participate in the Community Challenge & Win Prizes!

Well Payson and I read an average of at least 5 books every day. This week we are in a little quack series kick. My quality word count still has not ever registered a word or I would give you that info as well.

They are about a momma duckling and her 5 ducklings. Widdle, waddle, piddle paddle & little quack. There was one where learning to swim, one making new fri nds with ribbit the frog, and one good night one.

@Paysonsmom - Yay, thanks for being the first to share your Community Challenge Week 1 activities with us! I’m not familiar with the little quack series, but it sounds fun!

Also, did you get the email I sent last week asking for a time when we might connect over the phone? I’m hoping to dig deeper into this issue you’re having with Move Score and Quality Words. Let me know, thanks!!

@jami No I am so sorry I must have missed that email. Any time is generally fine.

We have read Let it Shine, Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar many many times this week, along with plenty of other books. My sis month old daughter Isabella really enjoys our story time together before bed. Although sometimes, she just wants to chew on the book pages. Reading has become part of our nightly routine to calm down before bed, but we also read more during the day now, to increase our word count as much as we can.

@Stephie Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you are cultivating a great love of books.

Victoria and I have read

1. Ditty Bird Classical Music - she loves touching the button and the 6 tunes, but her favorite is A Little Night Music by Mozart. She loves music, and dances to the melody!
  2. Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? She loves hearing the different sounds, but her favorite is the elephant sound. She loves doing like the elephant does.
  3. Good Night, Curious George. She loves relating to the fact that Curious George also goes to bed with his favorite teddy bear, and he brushes his teeth. She loves the different textures throughout the book, especially the banana stickiness.

Our scores were 86%, 84% and 93%. :slightly_smiling_face:

My boys have loved all of these books too @Stephie! What a great selection. :blush:

Thanks for sharing and for participating in week one of the Community Challenge!

Hello @Msog36, Thanks for sharing the books you’ve read in week 1 of the Community Challenge and adding all the detail! I love that Victoria is getting so many senses stimulated at once with words, music, melodies, sounds, and textures! So cool! :star_struck:

Congratulations to @Msog36 and Victoria for being the Week 1 Community Challenge winners!!! You’ve won copies of Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey & Tia Isa Wants a Car by Meg Medina! :tada::tada::tada::tada:

Thanks to all who participated in Week 1! :raised_hands: :star: :star_struck:

Victoria and I are so excited to be the winners :slight_smile: yay! We really enjoyed the challenge and look forward to continue having fun :smiley:

@Msog36

Unfortunately, we have to pause this challenge for the time being. :slightly_frowning_face:

I know it won’t stop you and Victoria from having fun, so continue to enjoy these days leading up to Summer and beyond!

Best,
Jami