Community Event: Starling Community Block Party!

This is where you’ll want to be tomorrow between 11:00 - 2:00 PM EST to participate in our first ever “BLOCK PARTY”! :tada::tada::tada:

Join Starling co-founders, Jon & Chris, along with other team members to ask any questions you have, share feedback, and simply hang out with us!

What’s a party without prizes? Anyone who posts questions or feedback during this time will be entered into a raffle to win a Starling T-shirt and a $50 Amazon gift card (earn an entry for each post)! And for those of you join us after the Block Party has ended, we still want you to share what’s on your mind, so post when you can and you’ll still have a chance to win a $20 Amazon gift card*.

::Virtual:: snacks and beverages will be served.

We look forward to seeing you here!

*Raffle Details: We’ll add one entry for each reply or comment within this thread. All participants who take part during the Live even on April 17 from 11:00-2:00 PM EST are eligible for the Starling T-shirt and $50 Amazon gift card. Any participants who post questions or feedback after the Live event through the EOD day Wednesday will be entered into the drawing for a $20 Amazon gift card. Winners will be announced here and contacted via email Thursday morning.

Hi everyone,

My name is Jon and I am one of the co-creators of the Starling. I am also a father of three children, all of whom have benefitted from the Starling. My youngest has grown up wearing the Starling and it’s prototypes - she was also our earliest talker and my oldest (our son) actually used the Starling while he was learning how to read.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and answering any questions that you all might have.

Jon

PS - I have attached a video of my youngest wearing a Starling prototype.

Hi everyone - I’m excited for today’s block party!

To warm things up, I figured I’d post some fun facts about Chris:

• I am a dad to Olivia (6), Caroline (3), and Thomas (1)
  • Caroline wore the first Starling prototype when she was 2 weeks old.
  • I am an introvert, and interacting with a baby originally felt to me like I was a crazy person talking to a houseplant.
  • I love the Starling because it helps remind me what’s most important to me in life, my family. We’re stronger as a result of having it in our lives, and I feel less anxious knowing that as long as I talk and play with my kids that they’re going to grow up to be happy and productive members of society.
  • I’m a total nerd when it comes to child development research. I love reading and talking about it, so hit me up with any questions you may have.

Here’s a pic of my kiddos in action:

IMG_4761|666x500

Hi folks! My name isn’t really VersaMe_Dave. It’s Dave Sopp! Here at VersaMe we all wear a lot of hats, but my biggest, fanciest hat is the tall, cone shaped one that has “MARKETING” printed in gold glitter on a white silk sash that trails off from the point. If you’d like to get to know me a little better, make a giant bowl of popcorn and sit down to my video bio @ https://youtu.be/JPA9KKawJhs

I think we’re going to be fine friends. Don’t you?

Hi Fellow Starling fans!

I’m Susan, and as VP of Product at VersaMe, I LOVE building experiences that help people in their lives, especially with their families. More importantly, I’m the mother of a 5 year old boy, Adam.

The Starling has been a great way to increase my focus on helping Adam as he learns, grows and ultimately thrives. I also get a kick out of using the Reading App as it’s made me a much better storyteller. I didn’t know I was so boring when I read to him. Now with all of the feedback, I am much better at bringing our books to life, even if it’s the 1000th time reading The Cat in the Hat!

I’m excited to meet everyone here!

Hi everyone, it’s nice to meet you! My name is Alex, and I lead product development for the Starling. I love learning from parents, educators and professionals like you about how you use the Starling, and more importantly, and how we can improve it to continue helping children grow & thrive. Thanks for being here!

What a great idea - virtual block party.

I met this product at the ASHA convention in November.

As a native Spanish-speaking Bilingual SLP I would like to know if in counting words, the starling differentiates between two (or more) languages.
Looking forward to your response.

Cheers!

Hi MissMo! Thanks for coming by the block party! Sorry I ate all the nachos!

Welcome @MissMo! Great question. We have many bilingual (or even trilingual) families using the Starling. The Starling counts words in any language, but it does not differentiate between the two - so it will give you a cumulative total of all words spoken (regardless of the language they are in).

Hi all!

If you’ve been here before, you may have seen me around, but for those of you who are visiting for the first time, I’m Jami, the Starling Community Manager. My focus is on ensuring you find what you need, whether it’s parenting tips & advice, help with your Starling, Starling resources, or just connecting with other parents. I’m the mama to two boys - Nolan (7) and Hollis (3), my youngest loves his Starling (though now that he’s 3, it’s tough to keep it on him). :laughing:

I’d love to know what kind of events and programs you’d like to see here in the community. Please share any and all suggestions – the sky is the limit (I can’t promise we’ll be able to deliver on all request, but I promise I’ll do my best)!

boys

@MissMo It sounds like you don’t currently have a Starling, but are interested. I want to extend a huge THANK YOU for jumping in here today to learn more and get your questions answered!! What other questions do you have that would help you take the plunge? We have several SLPs who use the Starling, would it be helpful to talk to one, or perhaps you did at the ASHA convention?

The Starling can be an incredible tool to help empower the families you work with!

I wanted to share a story about my own experiences with the Starling.

My son Julian was in second grade and a late reader. He loved being read to but getting him to read on his own was tough. What I realized was that he didn’t like to be corrected by me or my wife while he was reading - so it was a confidence issue. So . . . I took the Starling and had my son read to it while I put his two younger sisters to bed. If he read 1000 words, he got an oreo cookie.

For him, the Starling was a nonjudgemental reading partner that allowed him to use his competitive drive. He did it the first night and the second night I made it 1100 words and so on. Within two weeks he was reading with confidence and today he devours books!

What stories do you have?

I love this @jon! I’m going to consider a similar challenge with my older son!

I loved using my starling but it stopped woking and i have done everything i can and it still will not find it😢

Hi Lisa, Is it that your Starling will not sync with your phone?

It was doing fine and all of a sudden when i turned it on on a Monday morning it wouldnt find it. I have talked to a few ppl but all they have told me to do still isnt working. I had it synced and going and i have no idea what happened. My student one has never worked and after working over the phone we still couldnt get the student one to sync.

Hi Lisa,

I’m sorry that you are having an issue. Alex from our team will contact you directly.

Thank you,
Jon

Hey! We enjoy our Starling, but I do think the hardest thing was having to explain it to caregivers at daycare. Explaining the idea behind it is easy, allaying fears that it is not actually recording was a bit tougher. We found that showing them the app and output made a lot of difference.

Ok, let’s talk books. What are some of your children’s favorites and why? Amazing illustrations, fun rhymes, silly adventures?

I’ll go first. It’s hard to narrow down, because we have a deep love for books, but both of my sons have always loved the Little Blue Truck books because they’re fun and “sing songy”. Both are fans of all things Dr. Seuss (of course), and my oldest son LOVES Shel Silverstein poems – in fact, they’ve inspired him to write his own, and they’re pretty good!!

How about you?

Our child absolutely loves Little Tug by Stephen Savage. They have also heard Dear Zoo so many times that I sometimes find them reading it to themselves out loud in their room while flipping through the pages.